Life in the West Kootenays, Kaslo, and at Wing Creek Resort
There is one question that get over and over again since I moved to the Kootenays... what do you do there???
It's a question that always makes me laugh, just a little, what do you do anywhere? The inherent queries all centre around a similar theme, where do you shop, where do you get coffee, where do you go in the evening? My thoughts are that these question come from the fact that Kaslo doesn't have a mall, or a Starbucks, or a Tim Hortons , or a movie theatre, there is no Moxie's, no Joey's, no Cactus Club. So what the (bleep) do we do with ourselves?!?!?
I'll start with the easy stuff, we shop at the variety of boutique shops featuring local artisans, home decor, clothing, and more. We get our coffee from The Landmark Bakery or the BlueBelle Bistro. The coffee is from Oso Negro in Nelson, BC and, for all the coffee drinkers out there, it smells so divine that it buckles your knees! In the evenings we have casual meals and drinks at the local pub or the golf course restaurant. If we are in the mood for a more refined dining experience, we step into the Rosewood or take a quick trip to the Springs at Ainsworth. The Langham Cultural Centre has shows that feature independant Canadian films as well as local plays and musical acts.
What else do we do? Hiking, cycling, mountain biking, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, boating, ATVing; in the winter we play hockey, we go curling, alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and sometimes we just sit out on the deck and enjoy the view (in the winter we do this from inside).
So I guess the best answer to give those who ask what we do in the Kootenays is... WHATEVER WE WANT!
Join in the fun,
Recent blog posts
- Now Accepting Vacation Reservations For Our 2015 Season
- Kootenay Lake Early Fall Specials
- Plan Your September Getaway Today!
- NEW! July Specials at Wing Creek Resort on Kootenay Lake
- Wing Creek Resort Welcomes the 2014 BC Rural Summit to Kaslo
- Wing Creek Resort Named In Trip Advisor Top 25 Small Hotels In Canada
- Wing Creek Resort Named in Top 10 Resort Inns in the World!
- The Perfect Christmas Gift
- Wing Creek at Kris Kringle Craft Fair in Nanaimo
- Busy Thanksgiving Weekend Ahead